Sunday, August 20, 2006

Leaving the "Ghetto", Family Memories part 2

As I said in my last entry, My relatives hated the idea that me and my mother were better, More intelligent than they are. Most of my aunts were on welfare sometimes picking up random thugs who would live with them with no job. My mother had me at the age of 15 and was on welfare just like them. My relatives seemed content as she for a time seemed just like them. Teenager on welfare who will probably keep popping out babies with thugs just like they all did/were doing. Except she didn't do anything of the sort. After she got her GED she went straight into college and they made sure to try everything in thier power to get her to stop. They would refuse to watch me unless she gave them money. They constantly would tell her she would fail to give up it is a waste of time a degree doesn't mean anything. But she managed to do it.

Amazing how much abuse they loved to sling our way for daring to actually try to succeed. It wasn't just our relatives either. All of the friends my aunts had thought the same way. When we were around they would give dirty looks to my mother. When they saw me playing with thier kids they would roll thier eyes. They too, Would echo the "uncle toms" and "oreo" comments of my aunts. These attitudes of the parents would transfer straight to the kids as well. They would bully me when we played together. It is the reason why I would often read or do something else rather than play with them. At least, While I could before an adult would come over and take my book away or take whatever it was I was doing away and say something like "Stop reading and go play ball with the other boys. Sometimes adding in the words "homo, fag and pussy" somewhere in the sentence.

Some of thier favorite things to do would be to take my books and hide them or toss them in some random place around the nieghborhood. Use me as a target for boxing practice.... Sometimes without their gloves. Exra rough on me when they had a chance at any sort of contact sport we did. I was a prime target for them. Afterall, They go home to thier mothers who do nothing but slander me and my mother why would they end up respecting me at all?

I was glad when my mom told me we were going to move away.
My mom managed to graduate and found a decent paying job, Instead of family members being happy for one of thier relatives moving to a better, safer place. They instead demanded money out of my mothers paycheck. When she never gave them any[we had none to give, We weren't rolling in the cash or nothing] they bitched instead and called us "uppity negros"

Not that much changed for the better moving away from my relatives. While though the years we saw less and less of them. I ended up having to get used to a different set of new problems......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds tough!!
I grew up in the ghetto, blah, blah, blah, blah . . . but I can not remember telling me that I was acting white because I got good grades or read a lot of books.
Some friends called me a nerd because I got good grades but I had enough confidence in me not to allow that to bother. Well I should also mention that my father would kick my ass if I failed one class and anything under a 90 was unacceptable. And then he would ask well what happened to 100?
Well some times when I pass by some kids during report card time, some of them brag "I only failed 2 classes!!" One of those classes might be gym.

BTW, Encyclopedia Brown was the sh*t!

So I see thier eyes were rolled.

Anonymous said...

I took a lot of shit, just like TBM did. and anyone who denies it happens is probably a how can I say this.... a Liar. Anyways, its Myself, not me...you had confidence in.. Mister Nerd.
Stally

Vee said:
but I had enough confidence in me not to allow that to bother. Well I should also mention that